Q: How can I move my Lightroom catalog to an external USB drive.
I want to access the external drive either from my desktop computer or from my laptop.
- With Lightroom closed on the desktop computer, move your catalog
catalog_name.lrcatfile and the
catalog previews.lrdatafolder to the USB external drive. They must be in the same folder, just like it is on your desktop computer.
- With Lightroom still closed, double click on your catalog
catalog_name.lrcatfile. It will open Lightroom with your catalog.
- In Lightroom, from the
General taband select your catalog or select
Load most recent catalog
- Close Lightroom. Switch to the laptop and do the same steps on the laptop.
Lightroom: When starting use this catalog
As you can see from the screen capture, I’m running the photos and the Lightroom catalog on the network, the Y drive.
- This is not recommended by Adobe.
- This only works with Windows and doesn’t work with Mac.
- See https://www.sritch.com/lightroom/networked.html for the detailed, aka techies, instructions.