When dogs hear strange sounds, they often tilt their heads. Why? There quite a few hypothesis (meaning the we don’t really know, we just guessing), but they look cute:
- To hear better and find out where does the noise comes from.
- To judge the distance of the sound more precisely.
- To understand what we are saying (but I’m not saying anything while I was making this photo).
- To tell us that they are listening.
- To see better because of their nose getting in the way (but the flat faced dogs like the Pugs or the French Bulldogs also tilt their heads).
- Trained behavior because of us being happy when they tilt their heads.
The head tilt: Vancouver, BC
Before (left) and After (right)
Camera: Canon 7DMk2 ISO 1000 and 1/250s
Lens: Canon 70-200 f/4L IS @187mm and f/6.3 Focus: 4m
Processed with Darktable 2.0.2: http://www.darktable.org/